Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenter"

The historian and my neighbor Richard Engeman sent this gem of a motto to me after he looked at this blog.  I am now quite fond of it.  It reminds me of my Great Grandfather, Mr Lehr (in the center of photo below).  He was a carpenter in Indiana at the beginning of the 20th c.  I can picture him raising up the roofbeams on the buildings he constructed.  He made violins in his spare time.  I believe that 16 of them survive, scattered around the family.  I am the keeper of one of his last ones.

The second photo is of my Great Grandma Daisy (other side of the family).  She raised three kids in Kansas during the Dust Bowl, and then divorced her husband in the late 30's and came West.  I will never forget her spirit, determination, and her fortitude.  


No comments: